Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 04:49:30 UTC 2005

Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>> You could also just reply all from the newsgroup, then remove the
>> newsgroup entry and keep the to: fedora-list at redhat.com message. With
>> this approach, you only have to assure that you are seding messages to
>> the fedora-list from one of your valid subscribed accounts.
>>
>> Positive impact:
>> You would only download headers, you would not flood your mailbox. You
>> can change your subscribed account settings, for your subscribed
>> account to not recieve mail.
>> For responding to posts, you would only have to perform simple changes
>> to reply.
>>
>> Negative impact:
>> With regular mail, you recieve only those messages that were not sent
>> to your pop account. You can mail as you are used to.
>> You don't have to change your mailing address, reply to all and remove
>> the newsgroup setting.
>>
>> Jim
>>
> What happens if you *don't* remove the newsgroup setting?

The message never posts on the newsgroup.
I found the nntp feed entertaining, but it is easier to download the
messages through my pop server and read, then delete them at will.

This does sound like a handy feature for searching the archives though.
I don't think that I'd download all 89841 of them though.

I did find out that I didn't have to set any firewall rules for enabling
the port to the newsfeed. I must have caught the news server when it was
busy when I got the failure.

Jim

--
You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.