Problem with smb shares.

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Wed Feb 9 06:23:44 UTC 2005

akonstam at trinity.edu schrieb:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 09:08:07PM +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
>
>>On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:13, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>>

>>>I know someone is going to tell me that google will give me the answer
>>>but I am burdened with too much information already so I will ask this
>>>anyway.
>>>
>>>Since W2k shares can have more than two levels but evidently not in
>>>the smbmount that I am using so I can say:
>>>smbmount //trinity-tiger/users .....
>>>but not:
>>>smbmount //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1 ...
>>
>>What's the problem with the first command? Why do you want to mount a
>>subdirectory of a share instead of mounting the share directly?
>
> Well here is the deal. The managers of the system put users, faculty,
> etc. in different subdirectories. When I use the first smbmount I
> mount not the directory of csldap1 but the directory of all the
> home directories of users of the system. I might be able to live with
> that but it is annoying. Not to make a value judgement but MAC OS X
> allows you to mount  using the share: //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1
> to mount only the home directory of csldap1.
i see 2 problems here:
a) we are not using mac os x
b) i can deal with userdirectories without mounting the main-share for
all, if i put in my /etc/smb.conf the following for my user-shares:

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    path = /users/%U
    guest ok = no
    browseable = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 775

i have all my userdirs in a directory called users. I share all the
homes with the %U afterwards, so if i user loggs in, the %U gets
replaced by its user name - voilà, this works. Putting browseable=no
hides the /users-share too. Still not perfect (would like to load a
server-side-login-batch on linux too..) but even more elegant than
having all shares seen by everybody.

HTH
Roger