[OT?] Remote management service idea

Leonard Isham leonard.isham at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:41:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 01:40:04 -0600, Brian Fahrlander
<brian at fahrlander.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 23:15 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>
> > > I don't know about others, but I actually think this is a good idea...
> > > I don't know about price tags, since I'm quite bad at setting them,
> > > but the general idea looks good to me. About an estimative of users
> > > willing to go this path... I couldn't say... I think it would be
> > > feasable, but you will have to do a good marketing effort.
> > >
> > Go ahead, that's a great idea. However, price wise, I'd say that the
> > salesman is getting too much, and you too little. The support work,
> > after the installation, would be a lot more important, more work, more
> > difficult, more constant, etc. (unless you meant $20/*month*... )
>
>    (Yeah, sorry- looks like I typo'ed.  It's $20/month.)  The salesman
> has the call over whether he should convert it- I'm not in a position to
> see it, and he is.  He'll be 'armed' with a LIVE disk so as to
> interrogate it without disturbing the existing system.  Maybe a USB
> Flash?  Still thinking.

A few thoughts.

Let's see $80 install  and $240 for a year of support is $320 for the
first year and $240 each additional year.  The big question is will
people pay that even if it is billed monthly?

Consider the first several months will be the most support so you make
the least amount per hour.  After they stop needing you thay may
cancel...  Maybe a monthly fee for the beginners and then a per
support incident fee option.

Is this per computer or per user?  Family/shared computer discount?

--
Leonard Isham, CISSP
Ostendo non ostento.