How many FC3 users?

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Wed Feb 9 16:11:36 UTC 2005

Am Mi, den 09.02.2005 schrieb James Morris um 16:03:

> Does anyone have a good guestimate for the number of FC3 users (based on
> downloads, yum repo hits etc) ?  I'd like to try and get an idea of how
> many people are now running SELinux.

> - James

Hi!

Would be indeed interesting to know. Although like Paul already
answered, many FC3 systems are certainly upgrade systems and so will not
run with SELinux being active. And from my reading here on the list I
suspect many users with a fresh FC3 install, where SELinux is on by
default, have deactivated it quickly when they got the first "cryptic"
and not easy to fix audit / avc messages. If even the connection is made
between non-function of a setup and SELinux. When people then see that a
problem is SELinux caused, many tend to switch it off. At least this is
my observation here. To be fair, there are too other who try to keep
SELinux and read the FAQ about it or subscribe the SELinux mailing list
to get specific help there.

How about a page for feedback about SELinux on fedora.redhat.com? I mean
something like a formular where users can "register" their systems and
give some data about their usage of Fedora Core (3) and SELinux settings
too.
I thought about such a list recently when it came to my mind that it
might be useful to have a list with hardware information by Fedora Core
users: information about motherboard / chipset, graphics card,
controller cards. All with information about success or failure to run
on the specific hardware. Information about the Fedora Core release and
kernel version would be needed too to have valuable data.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.10-1.9_FC2smp
Serendipity 16:51:57 up 12 days, 18:22, load average: 0.25, 0.49, 0.54