fc3 randomly freezing on a Dell Inspiron 5150

Peter James Morgan pmorgan at jcoverage.com
Wed Feb 9 19:31:14 UTC 2005

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop that has been running FC1 for the
last year (or so). I took the plunge last weekend and did a clean
install on the machine with FC3. Very impressed by the smooth
installation, and initially very happy - especially with "yum update"
very neat!

However, the machine is now "freezing" on a semi random basis,
particularly under heavy load. Though, I left it alone idling today and
when I came back it had again frozen. When it freezes under load, the
CPU fan can be heard at (I guess) 100% for a couple of minutes while it
is frozen, then shortly after the machine powers itself off. The last
couple of under load freeze were at the same time as the CPU fan
stepping up another "gear".

The freeze happens when running under 2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp (the machine
is HT with a 3Ghz Intel processor) and also 2.6.10-1.760_FC3.

With acpi=off, the machine appears to be stable.

With FC1 I was able to run this laptop with acpi=on (only with
uniprocessor mode, didn't trust HT with 2.4), without any problems with
stability.

Unfortunately, nothing of interest is being written to /var/log. Is
there a recommended mechanism of debugging this fault? Any pointers to
other things that I can configure (e.g., could the CPU speed stepping be
the source of the problem?)

Thanks,
Peter.