fc3 randomly freezing on a Dell Inspiron 5150

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 23:21:14 UTC 2005

Peter James Morgan wrote:
> However, the machine is now "freezing" on a semi random basis,
> particularly under heavy load. Though, I left it alone idling today and
> when I came back it had again frozen. When it freezes under load, the
> CPU fan can be heard at (I guess) 100% for a couple of minutes while it
> is frozen, then shortly after the machine powers itself off. The last
> couple of under load freeze were at the same time as the CPU fan
> stepping up another "gear".
>
> The freeze happens when running under 2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp (the machine
> is HT with a 3Ghz Intel processor) and also 2.6.10-1.760_FC3.
>
> With acpi=off, the machine appears to be stable.

Can you press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a text terminal, maybe kick off
something like a compile (to get the heavy load), and see if it freezes?
You're more likely to get debugging information on a text terminal than
in graphics mode. Press Alt-F7 to get back to graphics mode.

It's worth entering this into bugzilla.redhat.com, too: this means that
the Red Hat kernel developers (hi Dave!) will at least have a record
that there is a problem.

You might also want to play with some of the ACPI options mentioned in
http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/Kernel-2.6.10/kernel-parameters.txt .

Hope this helps,

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | It is difficult to produce a television documentary
Exeter    Devon    UK | that is both incisive and probing when every twelve