Timeout Error while starting MySQL Daemon at boot , but MySQL daemon starts

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Thu Feb 10 00:08:48 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 18:30, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
>              for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do
>              if [ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping 2> /dev/null`" ]; then
>                      break;
>              else
>                      sleep 1;
>              fi
>              done
>              if !([ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping 2> /dev/null`" ]); then
>                      echo "Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL
> Daemon."
>
> Well this is a part of an if command .  On the first line it tries to
> ping the MySQL Daemon
> the man page says " Check if mysqld is alive" . If i understand things
> well the if condition is
> checked 10 times with an interval of 1 second between each attempt (
> sleep 1 ) .
Oh - I missed the part where you're running FC1 :-) The file I looked at was
FC3 and it takes the issue you have into account:

The same file on FC3 looks like that:

 STARTTIMEOUT=10
        while [ $STARTTIMEOUT -gt 0 ]; do
        RESPONSE=`/usr/bin/mysqladmin -uUNKNOWN_MYSQL_USER ping 2>&1` && break
        echo "$RESPONSE" | grep -q "Access denied for user" && break
        sleep 1
        let STARTTIMEOUT=${STARTTIMEOUT}-1
        done
        if [ $STARTTIMEOUT -eq 0 ]; then
                    echo "Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL
Daemon."
                    action $"Starting $prog: " /bin/false
            else
                    action $"Starting $prog: " /bin/true
            fi

As you can see here, they use a unknown usere and check that they get back
access denied...

If I remember correctly, root at localhost by default does not need a password.
Is that correct? Did you change your mysql config to require a password for
root?

Peter.