Save me from spams

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Feb 10 00:12:25 UTC 2005

arora.himanshu at gmail.com writes:

> Hi Folks,
>              I am suffering from serious spam problem. I know that i
> can use spamassassin for this purpose but my system administrator has
> disabled this facility might be he thinks that it would slow down the
> server. I have no way to detect spams.

You may get some useful suggestions here, from others.  Some of them may
work quite well.

However, it is my belief that the only effective way to filter out the crap
-- if you're a “power” user with highly visible addresses that receive a lot
of mail -- is to run your own mail server, and use a custom-tailored
solution.

My mail logs from last week show over twenty thousand rejected spam
deliveries.  This does not include anything from IP address ranges that I've
iptabled out.

And quite a bit of junk still gets through, and periodic tuning and
adjustments are always needed.