Advice on external backup of a Linux server.

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Feb 10 02:25:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 19:30, Bill Gradwohl wrote:

> Even for a business, you can script rsync operations to fit X number of
> snapshots on to a single disk, so that you only NEED to touch it every
> few weeks after its filled up with umteen generations. User intervention
> every long while isn't so bad - is it?

Much easier to use this: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/ instead
of writing your own and it will compress about 5 times more on
the disk than you'd do by yourself too.

I'm running it with a 250 gig IDE drive software RAID1 mirrored
to an external firewire drive that I swap weekly.  There are
still some quirks in the external drive swapping, but the basic
system is as good as you'll find.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com