Small up2date annoyance

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 02:07:03 UTC 2005

Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>    I don't know if there is a bug already filed in bugzilla for this, I
> haven't noticed this until my girlfriend pointed it out. We've been Red
> Hat users since back in version 5.2, but anyway, the point is we, and
> more specifically she is familiar with up2date and likes to use it very
> much. As of late she made an observation: up2date fails to report the
> size of the packages when it lists the available packages for download
> and lets you choose them... I did not notice it, but then she pointed
> out that since FC1 this happens, not even in Red Hat 9... That got me
> intrigued and as such I dare to ask here... Why are packages sizes not
> listed? I actually remember that up2date in RH 7.3 and 9 did report the
> size of the files and an estimation of the total amount you would
> download in that particular up2date session, so (I assume) you make the
> decision how much you'd like to download. I did a small search of the
> archives (in the nntp server) but found nothing and another search in
> bugzilla did not yield results (mind you very fast search), so I
> resulted asking you guys...

When you got the updates from the RHN network accounts before, there was
  information that could be used to determine the filesize. The yum
repos have no such filesize information to use for up2date to use for
this feature that RHN was able to display.

I've been using up2date since it appeared and also have used versions of
RHL from 5,2 on. I guess using this program has some addictive effect. I
use yum on occasion, mostly when up2date is completely uusable for short
time periods.

Jim

--
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the
crowd.  The