Kernel crash

Chethiya Ranaweera ckranaweera at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 21:39:58 UTC 2005

>From: Jeff Vian <jvian10 at charter.net>
>To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
>Subject: Re: Kernel crash
>Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:22:04 -0600
>
>On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 15:59 -0500, David Cary Hart wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 14:40 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> >
> > > IIRC, when the kernel is updated, the nvidia driver must be recomplied
> > > for the new kernel.
> > >
> > > you can boot to run level 3, recompile the drivers under the new
>kernel,
> > > and you should have it fixed.
> > >
> > That's correct but he claims NOT to be using nvidia drivers in
> > xorg.conf.
>
>Unless I am missing something, he never has said that he is not using
>the nvidia driver. In fact he has avoided your suggestion to change the
>driver in xorg.conf, and is blaming hte nvidia driver for the problem.
>
>As I read his messages, nothing has been said until now about
>recompiling/reinstalling which is needed for new kernel releases.
>
> > --

Thanks for help guys,
Yes, I am using nvidia drivers with the old kernel which works fine. You
told me to make a change in xorg.conf from nvidia to nv. When I looked it
was already set to nv and now we know it is not the problem.

Well now I have another question since I am a newbie. I have downloaded the
latest nvidia drivers. And I want to recompile them to the new kernel as you
have suggested. But how can I boot the new kernel into run level 3? Please
give me the commands and I will try your suggestions.