Linux sucks?

Johnathan Bailes johnathan.bailes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 01:20:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-13 at 18:14 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> Kunal Shah wrote:
> > For Microsoft, they have policy, if it's the problem of Microsoft, they wont
> > charge you. If its problem of your application, they will charge you
> > heavily.
> >
> > As I said, we could never go in production with Linux.
> >
> I'm wondering why you could not.  I work with a heavily used commercial
> product and about 10 to 15% of the companies using this product are
> running Linux servers.  And this is for production.
> --
> James McKenzie

I have worked at now three different very large enterprise companies on
of which is a government contractor and the other was a large very
famous website and the final is an extremely large cable company.

Two of them used RedHat for various tasks and the other used Suse.  Btw,
imo, Suse is horrible of production server use but that is just my
opinion.

Production use?  All over the damn place.  I do Voice Over IP primarily
Sun boxes but our VM solution uses RedHat based very customized linux
boxes.

Used NetVault for backups in a production environment for a medium sized
company.

Linux is not just for webservers anymore boys and girls.