newbie: 386/686pkgs. yum list pkg name. kde 3.3 on fc2? k3b.

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 14 18:19:17 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----

We are to assume that this is an Intel CPU, right?

1. In general, do I need xxx386xxx.rpm's or xxx686xxx.rpm's?

Pentium II, III, 4 and Pentium M use i686 rpms where available.

>2. The list provided by 'Yum list' does not provide the full pkg name.
>How do I derive it from the list?

Are you talking about the following:

kernel vice kernel-2.6.10-1_760-FC3?

>3. On kde.org, they say that [3.3] its for FC3 only, however I am almost
>certain that I had it before on FC2. I had K3b on it.

Hmmm.  I remember KDE under FC2 being 3.2 and for FC3 being 3.3, but it is possible that you upgraded to KDE 3.3 through the Fedora upgrade process (or they upgraded 3.2 to be like 3.3.)

>4. How do I use yum to get the absolute latest kde and k3b for fc2?

yum upgrade kde k3b

>5. Is there a gui front for yum, like k3b is to cdrecord?
Yes, gyum is a graphical interface for yum and includes an rhn-applet replacement that goes on the menu bar for GNOME.  I don't know (since I don't use KDE) if this functionality exists for KDE.

>Thank you all.

You are welcome.

One additional comment:  Nice post.  It was very easy to understand and reply to.

--

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!