Problem to install the drivers of my internal WLAN card

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 14 18:27:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:04 -0500, Johnathan Bailes wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:56:37 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> >
> > Strange you should say that. When prompted for the location of the Linux
> > source directory (where a sensible default
> > of /lib/modules/2.6.5-1.358/build was offered), the OP entered "y". This
> > is not a "y" or "n" question...
> >
> > Paul.
> > --
> > Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>
> >

> But just because a directory is there does not mean the source is underneath.

correct.  In this case the kernel headers are located there for use in
building modules.

> Have you in your memory ever installed source rpm for kernel which
> obviously contains the kernel source?

yes

> This is needed to sucessfully compile the driver.  I had to download
> and install it before I got my ltmodem and madwifi for my netgear card
> working.

Kernel source is indeed needed to compile the kernel.

However, only the headers are needed to compile most stuff.  Modules,
etc. do not require complete kernel source but only the headers.  IIRC
it is because of this difference that the headers are now included with
the kernel on FC and the source is only on the SRPMS disk.