newbie in trouble - recovering fstab

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Mon Feb 14 18:28:37 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Mark, thanks for the reply
>

>>Boot your rescue CD, go to the command prompt and mount your disk. When
>>the disk is mounted chroot with this command:
>>
>>        chroot /mnt/sysimage
>
> In trying to boot in linux rescue from CD1 I get:
> "An error occured trying to mount some or all of your system. Some of
> it may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage"
>
> But when I look in /mnt all there is is "/runtime" and "/source" no
> "/sysimage". Naturally enough
> # mount /mnt/sysimage
> doesn't work (can't remember the exact error message - something about
> /mnt/sysimage not existing)
>
> So, I'm not getting very far yet...
>
> Duncan

that doesn't sound good at all. unless I'm mistaken it sounds like
you've got filesystem damage and the cd rescue routine is having a lot
of trouble finding critical bits of the filesystem to mount things properly.

After you've booted the CD and entered the rescue portion exactly what
are you doing next?

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996