What's a good video card?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Feb 14 19:11:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 11:46:34 -0700,
  Robin Laing <Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca> wrote:

> This is not new.  Older cards are not supported in todays linux.
> Either by the kernel or by the X server.  One of the things that
> forced me to get a new computer.

That may betrue for cards that have binary drivers, but it does not
appear to be true for cards that had open source drivers.

> At least nVIDIA is working towards linux support with driver
> development.  I believe on their WWW site I read that they have made a
> common code base for their cards and drivers between Windows and
> Linux.  I have also read about people that have bad support from ATI
> even in the Windows environment.

The following is more political than concrete. I think that developing
binary drivers for Linux is not all that helpful. I would much rather
see the specs released and have someone else write open source drivers.
I plan on only buying video cards that have open source drivers.

> For me, the time wasted getting an ATI card to sort of work to getting
> an nVIDIA card to work was well worth the loss I took on the 9600.
> Days over minutes is my experience.  When I say 30 minutes from
> purchase to working it is the truth.  I looked at the time on my
> receipt after getting the card working and was shocked at how easy it
> was to get the nVIDIA card working.

Well with the 9600, you get the worst of both worlds. A binary driver,
plus poor support (as observed from comments I have seen, not personal
experience) from the vendor.

> If you look at the nVIDIA site, you will see that there are only 4
> drivers for video cards and that is based on BSD or type of processor.
>  There is no difference between cards.  How much easier can it get?

Getting the driver with X in the first place.