Grub loading stage2 error

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.GOV
Mon Feb 14 20:58:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 21:43 +0100, Perran (bongo) wrote:
> Thank you so much for replying Slash, but a colleague of mine
> suggested that I boot from my XP installation CD, run the repair
> console and run 'fixmbr'.

So you're back to being able to boot XP but not Fedora.  Have seen
references to using the windows bootloader to boot Linux, but have
always used LILO or now GRUB for dual/multi-boot so won't attempt to
advise you there.

> I did this and it all worked wonderfully. I'm guessing that Fedora CD2
> isn't bootable(?)

No.  You should be booting from the 1st CD, or the rescue disk, not
CD#2.

> I am still a little confused though...

Me too - not obvious why your original installation fails to boot.

> > Where did you install your grub and how did you do the installation?
> > I hope grub boot code is on /dev/hda (or HD0).
>

> I didn't specify a location for installing Grub, I was never asked to.
> I'm guessing that it's on /dev/hdb along with everything else Linux-
> ie. Is that not where it wants to be?

The default would be to install GRUB on the first bootable
disk /dev/hda, overwriting the MBR - that's why fixmbr clobbered GRUB
and let you boot again.

> Do I have to install Fedora on the primary drive (/dev/hda) or just
> grub?

Installing Fedora on /dev/hdb should be fine.  You should be able to
install GRUB either on the MBR - /dev/hda - or on the /boot partition -
presumably /dev/hdb1 - but the latter would require setting up the
windows bootloader to chain to it.

Phil