What is best way to install MySQL 4.1?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 21:44:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 16:34, John Swartzentruber wrote:
> On 2/14/2005 4:15 PM Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> >>What will this do to rpms that depend on the mysql-3.23 rpm?
> >

> > hmm. rebuilding the srpms from the devel tree and doing a rpm -Uvh
> > might be a better choice then
>
> I just did a "yum remove mysql.i386", and one of the things that would
> have been removed was dovecot! That wouldn't be good.
>
> Can you provide some pointers or more information about rebuilding the
> srpms from the devel tree? In my brief experience, I've never dealt with
> srpms, only rpms and source. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Ah!  I think you have hit one of the little problems when package
require certain things be installed.  Do you use mysql with dovecot
(most likely you don't).  But since dovecot requires a version of mysql
to be installed and listed in the rpm database you will end up with a
major problem.  You will end up having to remove dovecot and use some
other IMAP package that does not have the mysql dependency or you will
just have to wait for Fedora to release the version of mysql that you
want.

This is exactly the problem I complained about last month when they
added that dependency to dovecot on FC2.  They fixed it in FC2 and in
FC4 they plan to break out the database dependency to optional packages
for dovecot.

Dependencies between major packages is a bad idea!

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.