What is best way to install MySQL 4.1?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 23:45:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 18:36, David Hoffman wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 04:58:40 +0530, Rahul Sundaram
> <rahulsundaram at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > > OK, OK, so not that the other ones were wrong, but just not all as
> > > easy as they could be. Getting the SRPMS and building from scratch
> > > really isn't necessary when mysql.org already has compiled RPMs that
> > > work.
> >
> > upgrading fc3 mysql packages with those from mysql.org may not work properly
> >

> You say "MAY" not work properly. What are you basing that on?
>
> I wouldn't have written it if I hadn't done it successfully. It worked
> fine for me.

Just to stick another two cents into this thread... :)

One obvious problem I can think of is that with many packages
distributed with Fedora the spec file has been rewritten to put things
in different directories than the authors of the packages do.  Sort of
like installing a package from a tar ball, normally those packages
install under /usr/local instead of where the rpms install.

I am wondering if there is a way to confirm that the spec files are the
same between what fedora distributes and Mysql distributes?  If so and
the revision numbers are maintained correctly then you may be able to do
an upgrade just fine.  As I understand rpm if either of those items
differ you may not get the upgrade you were hoping for.

You might end up with two mysql packages installed.  Not a problem as
long as you use the tools from one package and not the other one.  But
mixing them could be a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally, the last time I setup a system for a company I downloaded
and installed the major production packages from tar ball.  I had more
control over them and was able to apply patches as they came out instead
of waiting for someone to bake an rpm with them.

This included apache, php, and postgresql in this case.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

With all the fancy scientists in the world, why can't they just once
build a nuclear balm?