Problem on boot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Feb 15 05:50:36 UTC 2005

On Monday 14 February 2005 23:46, naxis wrote:
>thank you Gene,
>I think you are right.Because that occurs when it is shut down
>abruptly.So I wanted to know if we canot prevent that with the
> journal mode which I heard about but dont know very well.

Using ext3 journaling will prevent a large percentage of such
filesystem damages, but _no_ modern computer should be turned off
without going through the operating systems shutdown proceedure. Get
out of the habit of reaching for the power switch, unless it tells
you on screen that you can.

Then you'll only have to look at, and wait for, the e2fsck about every
25-35 boots.  It gets forced after a certain number of bootups
anyway, just to make sure the filesystem stays coherent and clean.

Considering that its possible to run for several years on one bootup,
its not that big a deal.  We consider a crash here as something to
report, figure out why, and fix, whereas a BSOD on a windows box can
be a daily occurance depending on the software you are using because
it never gets fixed.

Believe it or not, windows can be stable with well written
applications running on it, we used to reboot a W95 osr1 box every
47-48 days on a regular schedule just because the tick counter was
about to roll over and freeze the box.  We had no other reason to
reboot it, and in that 48 days, about 5GB of data was taken in and
aged back out on that system.  Well written app that, the wire
capture for cbs, cnn and APNews.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)