fixing/reinstalling grub

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Tue Feb 15 15:22:46 UTC 2005

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Kumara wrote:
>
>>first put M$ then, FC
>>then you could sleep well
>>i always do that order
>

> Which is good advice.
>
> Mark Weaver wrote:
>
>>I normally do it that way as well, however this time Fedora is already
>>loaded and configured which is why I needed to know how to repair the
>>grub bootloader after installing Windows.
>

> It's worth noting that if you copy the MBR that grub writes to disk to a
> bootsect.lnx file (and put it where Windows can see it), you can
> integrate that file with the standard Windows XP bootloader.
>
> http://www.icculus.org/~lucasw/Linux/Linux%20and%20XP%20Bootloading.html
> under "XP Bootloader" gives a good rundown of what's needed.
>
> It's also worth noting that you can write the grub MBR to a floppy, and
> boot from floppy.
>
> Good luck: I suspect that you may have to end up re-installing
> everything anyway. To the best of my knowledge, the WinXP install needs
> to be able to write the bootloader files to the currently active
> (bootable) primary partition, which means that it has to be FAT, FAT32,
> or NTFS.
>
> James.

Hi James,

That is indeed exactly what happened last night. XP flatly refused to be
the second thing on the disk. it was a very late night last night.
windows installation is SO slow compared to fedora. Once windows was in
though I reloaded fedora and then spent a few hours updating and went to
bed; finished the fedora restore this morning and all is well again.

this has been an extremely informative thread though. AWESOME info.

thanks all!  :)

--
Mark
Linux User Since 1996