New install. Partioning advice please.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 15 16:06:12 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:
> On a new FC3 (or FC2) install, on one hard drive, how do I set it up so
> that certain directory structures do not get erased when installing to a
> future version of Linux?
> And as a follow up question, can I re-partion an existing fc2 system, to
> allow the same?
> I wasn't aware that this was possible, but the FC-3 install notes allows
> for reading the iso's "from a hard drive location not overwritten by the
> installation", which prompted this question. This would prove extremely
> useful of course, not only for the purpose os install iso's.

You do this my making separate partitions for the areas you think you'll
want to keep when doing a fresh install (not an upgrade) at a later
date. Typically this would be /home and maybe /usr/local.

If you have the ISO images for a new version downloaded to somewhere in
one of these partitions, you should be able to install from them, whilst
reformatting and reinstalling everything else.

Paul.