Grub install broken after kernel update

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 23:42:39 UTC 2005

Guy Fraser wrote:
> I agree, but I read all the grub {grub legacy} documentation
> and tried many things. The documentation does not have a lot
> of troubleshooting information, and grub has very poor error
> reporting. I would be more helpful if it mentioned which file
> or partition could not be found rather than just; Error 15 or
> Error 22.

Try info grub (or you might find pinfo grub easier. Or try one of the
graphical interfaces) and follow Troubleshooting.

# 15 : File not found
#      This error is returned if the specified file name cannot be found,
#      but everything else (like the disk/partition info) is OK.
(OK: it could say *which* file wasn't found...)
# 22 : No such partition
#      This error is returned if a partition is requested in the device
#      part of a device- or full file name which isn't on the selected
#      disk.

Hope this helps,

James.