Kernel 2.6.10-1.14_FC2

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Feb 16 00:36:36 UTC 2005

Dave Jones wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 07:09:02PM -0500, David Curry wrote:
> > I downloaded the 2.6.10-1.14_FC2 kernel today and promptly rebooted to
> > give it a spin.
> >
> > My system froze up fairly quickly and then repeated that performance on
> > reboot.  The only way I was able to recover control of the system in
> > both instances was through pushing Reset on the box.
> >
> > On the first occurence, I had stepped away from the machine for several
> > minutes and returned to discover a screensaver pattern on the screen
> > with system completely unresponsive to mouse and keyboard.
> >
> > On the second occurence, I stepped away for a few minutes and returned
> > to find a dialogue box displayed on the desktop advising that the volume
> > control applet had died suddenly and asking if I wanted to restart it.
> > I selected "No".  Within seconds the Gnome panel at the bottom of the
> > screen disappeared and the system was unresponsive to mouse and keyboard.
> >
> > Is anyone else experiencing this system behavior with the new kernel?
>
>Did you try the .13 one too ?  I'm curious if this is something
>introduced by the exec-shield fixes.
>
>		Dave

NO.  I wasn't aware that there as a .13 kernel, Dave.  I moved from .12
to .14 when the up2date icon advised that non-kernel updates were
available and learned that .14 had been released.  The non-kernel
updates installed in the same update session were
xemacs-21.4.17-0.FC2
xemacs-common-21.4.17-0.FC2
xemacs-info-21.4.17-0.FC2
Freewinlibs-1.11-42.1.i386.rpm

None of the non-kernel software has been used.