Linux Desktop for university staff

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Feb 16 02:37:48 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 19:48, David Curry wrote:

> You make good points, Les.  I think there is another basic hurdle Linux
> must clear before wide spread use is realized in a university
> environment or elsewhere.  That hurdle is user friendliness (read
> operates like an automobile, i.e. - the user can turn the key, put it in
> gear, step on the gas and go without having to know anything at all
> about what is going on under the hood) and independence in use
> comparable to that made available by a standalone desktop running
> DOS/Windows plus apps.

That's an illusion provided by pre-installed software and
vast armies of IT staff maintaining, updating and adding
3rd party virus and spyware protection on those MS desktops.

The worst problem with Linux these days is the number of
choices in desktops and applications Since they are mostly
free you can kill a lot of time trying them all out, but
you do get to pick the best for each type of use.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com