IP address variable

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Wed Feb 16 23:48:18 UTC 2005

Tony Dietrich wrote:

>A network administration machine where you want to be able to get at the
>servers by name even if the DNS server goes haywire.

I've been installing and designing networks for over 20 years and I have
yet to see a DNS server go haywire. Since the rule is to have 2 DNS
serves, if one were to go down, the other would pick up the slack.

>You DO give your servers fixed IPs don't you?

Yes, but I have changed those fixed IP's on occasion. Case in point - a
client got his mail server listed on a blacklist. We had to re IP his
server to avoid the blacklist. I made one change to the DNS server and
one change to the firewall rules and we were finished. This client has a
few dozen servers. Had we done it your way, I would have needed to
change the hosts files on a few dozen servers, and then get those
servers to reread those hosts files.

>I have a habit of naming the servers in a site the same whenever I can.
>So a tunnel script with the external name of the site and the internal name of
>the server gets me there, because I add IPs and names to my master hosts file
>on this central office system as/when I build a network for a client.

I don't know if I follow that, but I just use DNS to hit clients
machines for ssh, ftp, whatever I want.

I guess I'll do it my way and you can do it yours.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com