i586 to i686 upgrade

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Feb 17 10:31:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com>

You can replace the key packages (kernel, glibc, openssl) by hand.  Boot a
kernel that you don't want to upgrade, then "rpm -ivh --oldpackage
--replacepkgs kernel-XXX.i686.rpm" and "rpm -Fvh --replacepkgs
glibc-YYY.i686.rpm openssl-ZZZ.i686.rpm".  Then reboot to your new kernel
and install the i686 version of your old kernel if you want.

The --oldpackage allows installing a package older than the latest.  The
--replacepkgs allows replacement of a package with another of the same
version.  You want to -ivh the kernel so you don't wipe out the one you
are running.

As always, be careful, and make sure you have backups.  You might want to
wait a little bit and see if anyone flames me to a crisp for suggesting
this before you try it.

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences