Copying from HPFS

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 18 13:14:01 UTC 2005

Mark Healey wrote:
> James McKenzie wrote:
>
>> Mark Healey wrote:
>>
>>> As I continue my migration from OS/2 (Yes, that OS/2) I'm preparing
>>> to move my mp3s to the linux drive.  The main question is will they
>>> use the files real name or the .LONGNAME stored in the EAs.
>>>
>> You could should be able to use either the Short Name or the Long Name
>> format.
>

> I think you are confusing 8.3 vs long file names.  When I refer to
> .LONGNAME, I mean the EA where the filename is stored when the user
> wants to use some otherwise illegal characters in a file name, such as "!".

Thank you for the correction.

>  From what I've been able to find it looks like I will only be able to
> get the actual filename and not the .LONGNAME.

I don't know the capabilities of the HPFS file system driver, but I know
that you should at least be able to get to the 8.3 name.

>>> I really wish someone would clone the WPS to linux.  It's the best
>>> graphical shell ever.
>>>
>> Amen to that!  Beats Gnome or KDE.  It is one thing I miss from OS/2.
>

> I think I'm going to miss EPM the most.   For me it is the perfect
> balance between power and usability in a text editor.

I forgot about that handy program.  Again, I agree with you on this.

> Of course IBM could release the source.

I don't think that IBM owes the source code.  It would be great for
whoever owns the code to at least create a Linux version.  Of course
this would start a VI vs. EMACS vs. EPM 'discussion'.
--
James McKenzie
With assistance, Now running 2.6.11rc3, Software Suspend 2