usb thumb drives no longer mountable by user in fc3

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Fri Feb 18 18:41:19 UTC 2005

John H. wrote:
> it doens't, it's done dynamically, as I mentioned.
>
> take for instance floppy and cdrom entries
>

> /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
>  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
>  pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>

> --- dan <info at hostinthebox.net> wrote:
>

>>John H. wrote:
>>
>>>Ok, fc2/fc3, by default, when you insert a usb
>>
>>thumb
>>
>>>drive or whatever, creates a dir in /media, and in
>>>nautilus, an icon you can click on to mount the
>>>device, and access.
>>>
>>>however, apparently due to some recent updates, my
>>>fc3, only root can mount those things in /media
>>>anymore, despite the dirs being created
>>
>>automatically,
>>
>>>like /media/usbdisk.  The dir is created, but only
>>>root can mount.
>>>

>>>how do I get users to be able to mount them again?
>>>

>>What does /etc/fstab say for the mountpoint /media?
>>
>>Thanks
>>-dant

Please bottom-post.

It doesn't matter how it's done... but you need a user flag in there,
such as:

/dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto user,pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

You have to tell the system to allow "users" to mount this.

"... (from man mount)
user - Allow an ordinary user to mount the file system.  The name of the
mounting user is written to mtab so that he can unmount the file system
again.   This  option  implies  the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev
(unless overridden by subsequent options, as in the option line
user,exec,dev,suid).

users - Allow  every user to mount and unmount the file system.  This
option implies the options noexec, nosuid, and nodev (unless overridden
by subsequent options, as in the option line users,exec,dev,suid).
..."

Thanks
-dant