Installing issue with tar.gz files

Giulio Sorrentino numerone.fedora at wooow.it
Mon Feb 21 18:26:12 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:

> Hi list
> Could someone tell me how to compile/install packages that comes in tar.gz
> Ex. I have asterisk tar.gz source file but don't know how to install
> it. could someone give me steps to go ahead.
>
> I'm fairly familiar installations with rpm packages (but not src.rpm)
> hope your assistance
> Mohan

Instead of going on, we are going backward...

First of all I excuse if my reply comes a week after, but i'm busy in
this period.
As many told you, every tarball has a README and INSTALL files in, you
HAVE TO read it befor going anything, even if many programmers does not
take care of it.
Installing from tarball in an rpm distro IS NOT A GOOD IDEA, because the
rpm manager does not look for files in directory, but read them in some
databases, so installing an rpm with some files similar to that
installed from source could break the source installation.
For installing sources I suggest you kconfigure
(http://kconfigure.sourceforge.net): it's a gui that permit to install
sources in only tree click, reporting warning, errors and so on in an
appropiate window (there are even some projects look more similar to
windows' installshield, such as kcomain, if you, probably, want to feel
yourself "at home").
After doing that i suggest you to use checkinstall
(http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall) for doing rpm packages: if
you install created rpm, all files installed were overwritten and
registered in the rpm database.
Checkinstall 1.5.x does not work with fedora, you have to take 1.6.0.

The src.rpm are particular rpms that include sources, not binary. You
have to compile it to rpmbuild.