Difficulty getting a large disk mounted

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 22 17:36:59 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> going back to what I said in reply to the first post - I have never been
> able to format a vfat partition larger than 32 Gigabytes with Linux. By
> extrapolation, I might figure that I would have a problem mounting a
> vfat partition that is larger than 32 Gigabytes with Linux.
>
> Since it was Windows 98 and Windows 98 doesn't support NTFS, it has to
> be vfat (Fat32). It is larger than 32 Gigabytes. This would seem to be
> your issue.
>
> Unless someone else knows how to mount a vfat volume greater than 32
> Gigabytes on Linux,

I've got such a beast:

[james at kendrick ~]$ df -m /media/data/
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda11               42427     35687      6741  85% /media/data
[james at kendrick ~]$ mount | grep /media/data
/dev/hda11 on /media/data type vfat (rw,gid=501,dmask=2,fmask=113)

The gid, dmask, and fmask options are so that members of a selected
group can write to the drive.

I suspect I created it with mkdosfs (it's been a while).

It mounts normally:
[james at kendrick ~]$ grep /media/data /etc/fstab
/dev/hda11   /media/data    vfat defaults,gid=501,dmask=2,fmask=113 0 0

Linux, Windows 98 and Windows 2000 have handled it without problem or
complaint.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | How about an Australian-language version?
Exeter    Devon    UK | 'Your program just attempted an illegal instruction.