Linux Desktop for university staff

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 23:21:41 UTC 2005

Hodgins Family wrote:

>Good afternoon!
>

>>And when we do have money for software, we chemistry folks want
>>new instruments and don't much care about the operating system or the
>>application vendor as long as the OS and applications can talk to the
>>instruments.
>>
>>One problem we face with Linux is lack of this specialty software.  We
>>have to have some Windows boxes simply because the Linuc boxes we have
>>won't talk to the instruments.
>>

>I was wondering when this point would rear it's head. Specialty
>software. Yes, specialty software can be a pig. And it is a joyous
>occasion when a vendor actually provides software that CAN talk to our
>hardware reliably, isn't it? It is a wonderful feeling to know that the
>vendor-supplied software isn't simply a beta for us to trouble-shoot
>before the vendor takes the hardware/software package out to sell to
>industry.
>

>However, the OP wasn't asking about vendor or specialty software. He was
>looking for set of "Desktop applications".
>

>> 2) The professoriate are also subject to "ego". I would argue that it is
>>

>>>more important to the academic class to be seen using an expensive
>>>application (for show-value) instead of a cheaper (or free) application
>>>that might imply that their work/research grants don't merit a higher
>>>level of funding. And ego amongst our academics is as vital a force as
>>>peer pressure.
>>>

>>Unless you're talking about comp sci professors, that statement probably
>>doesn't carry much weight.  We chemists, for instance, are more impressed
>>with a nice LC/MS setup than an expensive spreadsheet. :)
>>

>Oh, Dr. Taylor! Ouch! Somebody in comp sci gonna bite 'cha fer that!
>
>:) Rob ;)

Something that has been running through many of the exchanges under this
thread is an apparent assumption of homogeneity among university types.
In my experience, university cultures are quite diverse (heterogeneous)
with quite a bit of diversity even among departments at the same
university.  The one thing university professorates have most in common
is the same thing drives the diversity and competitiveness
characteristic of univesity faculty and staff - EGO!

It is true that the original thread op was talking about applications.
But, a good many desktop users don't see a great deal of difference
between one type of application and another and something that drives a
piece of equipment they need/want/find useful may very well look like,
sound like, and walk like an app to them.

Professors are bright, motivated people, by and large, who want (and
need) to spend their time in pursuit of their chosen academic
disciplines.  Computers and computer software are a means to an end.
University administrative computing needs differ from the needs of the
professorates.    The less time spent on computer system intracacies
(and exposure to professional risk) a user group faces in selecting a
particular computer system relative to available alternatives the more
likely they will pick the particular system.

The power availability of specialty software has on selection of
computer system can not be overestimated.