Firewalled print server

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Thu Feb 24 01:55:44 UTC 2005

Louis Garcia wrote:

>I was trying to fix a printing problem and found out I can't print from
>a fc3 workstation to a fc3 server using cups and ipp if the server is
>firewalled. The server is using the default rh iptables script and a
>quick cat through the file shows port 631 open. I would like to keep the
>server firewalled and still have remote printing. I believe a simple
>tweak of the iptables script will do the trick. Any suggestions?

I'm scratching my head on this one. I run firestarter, and print to a
Linksys EPSX3 printserver. I was able to print using firestarter v0.93,
and since I upgraded to 1.0 and above,  I have to stop the firewall to
print. I have sent emails to the firestarter list, and have not had luck
with any of the solutions. I went back to version 0.93, and it no longer
works, so I am suspecting a kernel problem???