Wireless PCMCIA Cards

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Thu Feb 24 18:28:29 UTC 2005

Craig Thomas wrote:

>More than a vendor, what really matters is the chip set used in the
>wireless card.  And different models from the same vendor _may_ and
>_often_ use different chip sets for different manufacturing runs of the
>same model card.  The specific model/version number should help you
>determine the chip set manufacturer.
>
>Finding out the chip set manufacturer is the easy way to know if the
>card will work or not.  Drivers work with specific chip sets.
>
>It has been awhile [my wireless card is an older linksys wpc11 prism
>based--newer ones don't work I'm told], but a quick google turns up some
>useful looking results:
>
>http://www.wlug.org.nz/WirelessChipsets
>
>HTH,

I researched the board, phoned the vendor and got lied to.

I asked specifically if they used the prism chipset and was told they
did. When I got the board, it had the Atheros chipset. It also had a
ridiculous hard wired antenna cable about 3 ft long protruding from the
board. No way to disconnect it. That wasn't obvious from the vendors web
site either.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com