SMARTD fails at boot

Eugene Lin eugenelincc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:09:50 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> Hi all,
> at boot, my system shows "smartd is failed" what does mean? if it is a
> problem how can I correct it? really, I don't know what is the purpose of
> smartd. any clarification please,
> Mohan

Dear Kumara

If you type "man smartd" in the shell, it'll explain that smartd  is  a
  daemon  that monitors the Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting
Technology (SMART) system built into many ATA-3 and later ATA,  IDE  and
  SCSI-3 hard  drives.

If you're using SATA harddisk on your system, smartd will generate an
error message as smartd does not work with SATA drives (yet).

You can prevent smartd from loading up by disabling it from
Application->System Setting->Server Settings->Services.

--
Eugene