Problem origin identification

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sun Feb 27 02:23:19 UTC 2005

A question for the more experienced and expert fedora users.

I have encountered several minor, but somewhat unconvenient (sometimes
irritating), problems while running FC2.  Some of them surfaced on first
boot after installation.  Others surfaced later as I broadened use of
the system.  In several instances, the problems appeared to lessen or
disappear with kernel and other upgrades.  On occasion, critical
failures occured promptly following some updates as with initial
installation of kernel-2.6.10-1.14_FC2.

While my system froze up twice in succession shortly after introduction
of the .14 kernel, I am more and more suspicious that Gnome and/or its
sound applications are contributing factors if not the outright cause of
those freezeups.  There is also some basis for suspecting X.org.

Some guidance on how best to pinpoint the source(s) of system freezeups
would be helpful.