long wait for log out window

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:31:11 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:12:53 +0100, Angelo Machils
<angelus at sangreal.demon.nl> wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Since a while (since 2.6.10-1.766_FC3???) I have noticed that when I
> choose 'Log Out' from the window in Gnome (running on FC3 x86-64, fully
> updated) it takes a very long time before the actual window (where you
> can choose either to logout, halt or restart the system) appears. I'm
> talking several minutes here, and during that time I can also choose
> nothing from the menu, but for the rest the system works without a
> fault. Top says the system is pretty much idle, so it's not a
> performance problem.
> Does anyone else have this problem? Is it a known bug?
>
> Kind regards, Angelo

Hi Angelo,
No, I have not seen anything like this.  In fact, I just checked and
with updatedb banging on the disk, it only took very little time
(almost no delay) to bring up the logout window in Gnome for me
(though it took a considerably longer time for the menu to actually
pop up to click on logout :)).  I'm running 766_FC3 on x86_64 as well.
You can also bring up this dialog with the command:
gnome-session-save --kill
You might try doing an strace on this to see if you can find where it
is hanging:
strace gnome-session-save --kill
This should scroll by a lot of stuff.  Take note of any places that it
hangs.  For me, stuff scrolls by until the dialog comes up.  You can
then run it again and direct the output to a file:
strace gnome-session-save --kill 2> logout.txt
which will put everything in logout.txt so you can post info to the
list or see more of what is going on, just remember where you noticed
it hang before.  In another terminal, you can also run "tail -f
logout.txt" to see what is being printed to the file so you could
perhaps run it only once.  If nothing looks obvious, send more info to
the list.

Jonathan