Midi files and Firefox

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 28 01:07:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-02-27 at 11:14 -0800, Richard E Miles wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 23:25:54 -0700
> Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 23:46 -0600, Jeff Vian wrote:
> > > A recent thread on playing midi files with TiMidity got me to wondering
> > > about a problem I have.
> > >
> > > One web site that I love has music that plays with the pages.  They play
> > > when I use Windows, but on Linux they don't.  I wondered why since I
> > > have most of the music formats playable with XMMS and others.
> > >
> > > When I checked this site i found all the music files are midi (.mid)
> > > files.
> > >
> > > Now my quest is to find out how to get firefox on Fedora to play
> > > the .mid files that web pages may use.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how to get firefox to play the .mid files?
> > >
> > > I also seem to need a little help with installing/configuring TiMidity
> > > to play regular .mid files locally.
> > > I have installed timidity after compiling but when I try to open a .mid
> > > file it fails because the timidity.cfg file is not found. Documentation
> > > is too sparse to let me know the minimum content of this file necessary
> > > to play .mid files.
> > >
> > > Can someone share their timidity.cfg file so I can play .mid files?
> > ----
> > Methinks that the cfg is a waste of time - it's probably generated by
> > your install...
> >

> The timidity.cfg file is at /etc/timidity.cfg
> Do a man 5 timidity.cfg to see what it contains.

Actually it did not get put there (or anywhere else) by
compiling/installing from the tar ball.

I searched rpmfind.net and was able to locate an RPM (for Suse 9.1 but
it works well for FC3) and install that.  It put the needed cfg file
at /usr/share/timidity/timidity.cfg so now the files can be played
locally.

Now all I need is the means to make firefox play the midi files....