Newb

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 1 04:00:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 22:37 -0500, Dustin Hill wrote:
> Hello all!  I'm new to linux and can't seem to find a real beginners
> guide anywhere, so I joined this list to see if I could get some help.
> I just installed FC1 and am wondering how to update it to FC3.  I'm
> hoping that I won't have to burn the .isos and reinstall everything
> again.  I've been on windows forever and have no real clue how to do
> anything in linux.  It took me two hours to figure out how to run
> up2date.  Any help/guidance will be kindly accepted.
----
does up2date still work with FC-1 now that it has been transferred to
fedora-legacy? I'm sure that to use it, you would have to change your
sources at the very least.

There is a way to do dist-upgrade with yum or apt - there are varying
levels of success with that procedure and it certainly isn't officially
supported by fedora.org

FC-2 and FC-3 use the 2.6.x kernels and thus, quite a bit has changed
since FC-1 - if you are antsy, I would suggest that you download the
i386 iso's and install (upgrade) from the CD's. I would expect that FC-4
is still 2-3 months away yet.

Craig