Resizing a partition

Kevin Fries Kevin at hcico.com
Tue Feb 1 17:08:30 UTC 2005

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s
| 1-parted-resize-part.html
|
| Thanks in advance.

If you do need to rebuild, may I suggest another alternative.

~  - Back up your current site using cpio, uucp, rsync, whatever

~  - Reformat your existing drive using LVM

~  - Restore your existing system exactly as it was before

now this should take you a couple of hours, but will give you an
incredible amount of flexibility later.  If you need additional space,
simply create additional partitions, on this or new drives, and add them
to the LVM volume set.  Expandable drive system without having to
actually repartition your drive.

Common problem with new Linux users is that they try to apply Windows
solutions to Linux problems.  All drives mount as one tree in Linux, so
separate partitions are less of an issue.  Couple that with better
partition management, and there is no need to increasing the partition
size as there would be in Windows.  Welcome to a better, more stable OS. :-D

HTH

- --
Kevin Fries
Network Administrator