cyrus-imapd - sieveusehomedir: 1

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Feb 1 19:08:54 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:
> I was thinking that cyrus changed to user to do this work - ala
> procmail. Just in case, my home directory was set to 777 and the perms
> on /home/craig/.sieve were 644 - perhaps that needed to have write or
> execute permission to all users. Wouldn't seem to need that though.

Actually it was the sendmail that changed to user's ID before invoking
procmail.  Sendmail can do that, since it is running as root.  Cyrus is
not running as root, so it can't change its user ID.

The permissions look way to permissive to me.  I believe minimalistic
persmissions that should work (once you figure out how to put all other
parts together) are 711 for you home dir (allows others to access the
files inside directory if individual file's permissions permit that, but
not to list content of directory), and 644 for .sieve (and any related
files) to allow Cyrus to actually read it.

Sorry for not being of more help.