X over ssh problems from FC3 to older systems

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 20:10:40 UTC 2005

Hi folks.

I've just upgraded my laptop from FC1 to FC3 and everything looks fine
so far locally.  However, when I ssh onto other machines I have
problems.  I am running KDE locally and remotely.  remote KDE apps fail
to start at all, and GVIM starts but doesn't work properly bombing out
when I try to use it.  The remote machines are mainly RH7.3 with all RH
&  legacy updates.  I have included a session connecting to one of
these machines.

Anyone know how I can fix the FC3 system to that it plays nicely with
everything else.

Thanks

Gary

gary at gary gary]$ kmail
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPServer up and running.
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
  Major opcode:  20
  Resource id:  0x116
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-26368' to 'kded'
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display "localhost:10.0".
X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
  Major opcode:  20
  Resource id:  0x116
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-26358' to 'kmail'
[gary at gary gary]$ gvim
[gary at gary gary]$ kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.
BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
Vim: Got X error
Vim: Finished.
40;0M40;0M$40;0M

[gary at gary gary]$