Volume settings not preserved, who's to blame?

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Feb 2 02:13:17 UTC 2005

Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> James Wilkinson writes:
>
>> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>>
>>> I find that my volume settings are not saved in FC2. I have to turn
>>> up the volume every time I log in. Examining the volume control
>>> settings, it looks like that all settings are saved, except for the
>>> "PCM" setting.
>>>
>>> Who do I file this bug against?
>>

>> Do you have a standard Fedora kernel?
>

> Yup.
>
>> What sound card do you have?
>

> It's a laptop with an AC97-compatible chipset, that uses i810_audio.o
>

>> Do you have a line containing "/usr/sbin/alsactl store" in
>> /etc/modprobe? What does the rest of the line say?
>

> modprobe.conf is for the 2.4 kernels.
>
> In modules.conf, I've got this monstrosity:
>
> post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>
>> What happens if you run
>> /usr/sbin/alsactl store
>> from the root prompt?
>

> alsactl works just fine.
>
> I'll try dicking around with modules.conf…

Use alsamixer to set your volumes, then just (as root) issue alsactl
store (that's what the lines in modprobe should do, but it actually
doesn't). What I certainly would do is to install the driver from an
updated rpm or source (if you know how to) and just use the alsasound
system service for this: /sbin/service alsasound restart will store the
values and keep your sound working. Upon reboot you should get your
volumes back,