Can't start mysql on FC3

Wes Barris wes.barris at csiro.au
Wed Feb 2 02:58:28 UTC 2005

Craig White wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:29 +1000, Wes Barris wrote:
>
>>David Hoffman wrote:

>>>David, maybe you missed it, but when I read the original post, he did
>>>show his /var/lib/mysql/mysql directory, and I see the file there.
>>
>>Yes, the file is there.
>>

>>>I'm guessing it might be how he tried to start it.
>>>
>>>Wes... how did you try to start mysql? And what version are you using?
>>>Did you try "service mysql-server start"? (Version 3.xx that came with FC3)
>>>Or if you are using MySQL version 4.xx, "try service mysql start"
>>
>>root at bioweb# rpm -qa | fgrep -i mysql
>>perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-5
>>mysql-3.23.58-14
>>mysql-server-3.23.58-14
>>
>>I tried this:
>>
>>/etc/init.d/mysqld start
>>
>>When I try your command I get this:
>>
>>root at bioweb# service mysql-server start
>>mysql-server: unrecognized service
>
> ----
> try...
>
> mysql_install_db
> service mysqld start

Thanks but I get the same error.  Here is a transcript:

root at bioweb# mysql_install_db
Installing all prepared tables

To start mysqld at boot time you have to copy support-files/mysql.server
to the right place for your system

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SET A PASSWORD FOR THE MySQL root USER !
This is done with:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root  password 'new-password'
/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h bioweb.sl.csiro.au  password 'new-password'
See the manual for more instructions.

NOTE:  If you are upgrading from a MySQL <= 3.22.10 you should run
the /usr/bin/mysql_fix_privilege_tables. Otherwise you will not be
able to use the new GRANT command!

You can start the MySQL daemon with:
cd /usr ; /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &

You can test the MySQL daemon with the benchmarks in the 'sql-bench'
directory:
cd sql-bench ; run-all-tests

Please report any problems with the /usr/bin/mysqlbug script!

The latest information about MySQL is available on the web at
http://www.mysql.com
Support MySQL by buying support/licenses at https://order.mysql.com

root at bioweb# service mysqld start
Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL Daemon.
Starting MySQL:                                            [FAILED]
root at bioweb#

This was appended to the /var/log/mysqld.log file:

050202 12:56:40  mysqld started
050202 12:56:40  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file:
'./mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
050202 12:56:40  mysqld ended

> mysqladmin - u root password 'new-password'
>
> chkconfig mysqld on #for future reboots
> I also found it handy to add...
> skip-innodb to /etc/my.cnf

Yes, I had already put that in my /etc/my.cnf

--
Wes Barris
E-Mail: Wes.Barris at csiro.au