[GRUB]Resolution setup

Daniel Moyne dmoyne at tiscali.fr
Wed Feb 2 06:49:53 UTC 2005

Le Mercredi 2 Février 2005 06:57, Dave Jones a écrit :
> On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 06:51:56AM +0100, Daniel Moyne wrote:
>  > - to compile a few things here and there : I have to install my Tekram
>  > SCSI driver not include in Fedora kernels.
>
> Which driver ? If its tmscsim, then thats been enabled for a while.
> dc395x probably won't be enabled any time soon, as it's still carries
> this disclaimer..
>
> "This driver works, but is still in experimental status. So better
>  have a bootable disk and a backup in case of emergency."
Thanks Dave for your answer ; you see I have been using Tekram DC395UW SCSI
PCI card for at least 3 years (I may have bought the device 4 years ago) ;
this driver has been developed by Kurt Garloff in Germany and version 1.42
works fine for me on my Mandrake ; (1) at the very beginning it was not
included in the kernel and I had to put my hands in grease to use my SCSI
chain ; (2) then is was delivered in Mandrake kernels in what they call
3rdparty and consequently runnable ; (3) now it is included in
"/drivers/scsi" in all their kernels ; if you want people to help driver
developers you have to propose something to the users community don't you !

I plan to do as I did on Mandrake in phase (1) as I have a 1.42 generic source
version including a Makefile :
- I run "make" then collect the "dc395x.ko" file generated that I can zip into
"dc395x.ko.gz" file,
- I dump "dc395x.ko.gz" file into
"/lib/modules/kernel_version/.../drivers/scsi",
- I run the command (I forget which one) to update the file "modules.dep",
- I modify the "modules.conf" file,
- I reboot.

Then I rebuild the "initrd_kernel_version.img" file to replace the old one
that does not include the scsi driver.

But to achieve this if I am not mistaken I need a kernel source installed in
"/usr/src/linux" and this on FC3 looks like another pin in the neck !
Regards.
--
kernel 2.6.8                          / --- \