Find hard links?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Feb 2 13:39:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 14:20 +0100, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> D. D. Brierton wrote:
> > tar: Removing leading `/' from member names

As I said in my reply to Paul the above is a red herring. The tar job
always used to issue that first warning.

> > tar: Removing leading `/' from hard link targets

However, it didn't used to issue that before because to the best of my
knowledge there never has been any hard links in my home directory.

> How does the tar command in your cron job look like?
>
> If you have a full path to the directories or files you're
> backing up, you should get this message unless you have
> the "-P" flag on the tar command.

Yep, I do have a full path in the tar command. The warning about
stripping leading `/' from names isn't what bothers me, its the fact
that tar says there are hard links in my home directory that bothers me.

Thanks for the response.

Best, Darren