cyrus-imapd - sieveusehomedir: 1

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 2 14:24:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:08 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > I was thinking that cyrus changed to user to do this work - ala
> > procmail. Just in case, my home directory was set to 777 and the perms
> > on /home/craig/.sieve were 644 - perhaps that needed to have write or
> > execute permission to all users. Wouldn't seem to need that though.
>
> Actually it was the sendmail that changed to user's ID before invoking
> procmail.  Sendmail can do that, since it is running as root.  Cyrus is
> not running as root, so it can't change its user ID.
---
good to know - I hadn't thought that hard about it and it makes sense
---
> The permissions look way to permissive to me.  I believe minimalistic
> persmissions that should work (once you figure out how to put all other
> parts together) are 711 for you home dir (allows others to access the
> files inside directory if individual file's permissions permit that, but
> not to list content of directory), and 644 for .sieve (and any related
> files) to allow Cyrus to actually read it.
---
Yeah well it was in an attempt to make certain that permissions weren't
a problem.

Apparently sieveshell can use scripted method and I'm going to fool with
that - I presume that is what smartsieve does without looking at the
code. I do know that it doesn't do much good to just copy up or edit a
script in the /var/lib/imap/sieve/ directory tree as it won't bytecode
it.

Thanks

Craig