fc3 on old 7GB HD with 64MB Ram

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Wed Feb 2 15:01:41 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 01 February 2005 15:04, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Okay, I'm getting closer. It was crashing after initial hardware detection
> so I removed that 'rhgb quiet' and now it boots right up to the point where
> i expect the login screen to appear - what's my next step?
>
> ideas?
>
> Duncan

Okay, I tried Paul and Si's ideas...

boot...
remove "rhgb quiet" add "3"
setup tool arrives - wait a bit and it goes again and I get a login prompt
login as root

$ X -configure
nothing serious, says it can't find my mouse, lot's of stuff above screen I
can't read.

$ startx

... and I'm back at where I started, the screen goes dead and I can see that
'crystals going to sleep' thing swish across the screen. The system is not
powered down thou. Just no screen - maybe waiting with a login splash screen?

> What is the CPU and speed btw?
700Hz - celeron
what's the speed you wanted, I'm not much of a hardware wizz, 4200rpm? Here's
some specs...

# Formatted Capacity: 10GB
# Interface: 44-pin ATA4
# Data Transfer Rates: 66.7MB/s (UDMA)