Dell gx260 pci video panic

Doug Dressler darby_sd at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 15:32:06 UTC 2005

I am having problems installing Fedora Core 3 on a
Dell Optiplex GX260 when I have a PCI video card
installed.

Once it gets past the initial boot screen, I get a
Kernel panic.
This only happens when I have a PCI video card
installed. I have tried 2 different nvidia cards as
well as an old S3 Virge card I had lying around with
the same result.

Now, I know this isn't a Fedora problem specifically,
because almost the same thing happens with Suse 9.2
and Windows 2000 Pro.

Suse gets through the installer, but panics on the
first boot. I tried to boot an existing installation
of windows  after installing the card and it failed to
boot all the way as well.

I have also tried it with another Optiplex GX260, and
the same thing happened there.

It looks like the panic occurs at different times, but
usually right after agpgart or USB-UHCI loads.

Some times, there are pages and pages of errors before
it locks up, and I don't know how to access that
information.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,

Doug