Yum in cron confusion?

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Wed Feb 2 17:57:00 UTC 2005

William John Murray wrote:

>  Hello FC3 users,
>        I am confused by yum in cron, it doesn't seem to work for me.
>
>  If I "/sbin/chkconfig --list yum" I see:
>yum             0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>which looks good.  There is a file '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron' (which if
>I run it interactively seems to update yum.)
>
>/var/log/cron was run at 4am, but there is no sign of it having done
>anything at all. Certainly my system was not updated, but where should
>it leave any error messages? I can add debug by hand of course, but it
>is a very slow turnaround, and surely there must be a log file
>somewhere?
> I found a top about timing on: http://aaltonen.us/archive/2004/10/
>which requires a file /etc/cron.daily/yum which I do not have. Is
>my installation defective?
>
>   Thanks,
>           Bill

Hi,

Did you look at the /var/log/yum.log file? If you are looking for a
LogWatch message about updates, you may have to fix a bug in the way
LogWatch look into the /var/log/yum.log to get it to work right. On my
case, I was getting the nightly yum updates, but they weren't being
reported on logwatch untill I fixed this bug. Now it works fine, but I
don't have the file '/etc/cron.daily/yum' that you mention. Rather, I
have '/etc/cron.daily/yum.cron'. Is this file there? It first looks for
updates for yum, then updates the rest.

--
Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student